With summer in full swing (despite the typically fickle British weather!), whipping up a deliciously fresh salad, either as a standalone dish or as an accompaniment to BBQ food is a must. If you fancy something a little different to the usual green salad, then why not try one (or all three!) of these tasty dishes?
QUINOA SALAD WITH CHERRY TOMATOES AND CUCUMBERS
- 270g cup quinoa (cooked)
- 200g cherry tomatoes – chopped
- 200g cucumber – diced
- 130g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 30g feta cheese – diced
- 1 to 2 tbsp red onion – finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- Black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cook quinoa as per the package instructions. Let cool slightly when done.
- Add cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced feta and red onion to a bowl.
- Steam the peas and add to the bowl.
- Mix all together with the cooked quinoa.
- For the dressing, whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, black pepper and salt together.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve.
GRILLED HALLOUMI SALAD WITH A BOILED EGG
- 150g rocket leaves
- 2 egg
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes – cut in halves
- 1 pack of halloumi cheese – sliced
- 1 avocado – sliced
- 1 shallot -sliced
- Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper for the dressing
- Hard boil your eggs.
- In the meantime, grill or fry the halloumi slices and mix the dressing ingredients
- Add the rocket leaves to a bowl, covering the base.
- Arrange the tomatoes, avocado and shallots on top , before adding the halloumi and halved boiled egg.
- Sprinkle with dill or spring onions if you like
PEA AND BEAN SALAD WITH RADISHES AND DILL
- 150 g podded broad beans (from approx. 550g/19 oz broad bean pods)
- 150 g fresh or frozen peas
- 2 spring onions
- 4 radishes
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ½ lemon – juice only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the broad beans and peas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water to prevent overcooking.
- Meanwhile, trim and finely slice the spring onions. Wash and trim the radishes, then slice finely.
- Put the prepared spring onions and radishes into a bowl with the dill, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Drain the peas and beans and then add to the other ingredients.
- Give everything a good mix, then taste and add seasoning as required.
- Serve straightaway or refrigerate for a few hours until required.