If you’re growing courgettes this year, this coconut & courgette soup is a great way to use them. Made with coconut milk, courgettes and plenty more green vegetables including spinach, peppers and peas, it’s the kind of soup you might fancy when the sun is shining but there’s still a slight chill in the air – which has definitely been the case this summer! It’s fresh, creamy and satisfying which is made even more delicious when served with crunchy baked chickpeas.
- 1 courgette – chopped
- 1 leek – thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper – chopped
- 225g spinach
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 x 400g can of coconut milk
- The zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas – drained
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds for garnishing (or other seeds)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the leek and cook until soft before adding the courgette and peppers. Let the vegetables cook for a few minutes then add the stock and coconut milk. Let this simmer for 10 minutes then add the spinach for one minute then blend the soup with a hand blender.
2. Add the peas and place back over the heat for a few minutes until the peas have cooked. Squeeze over the lemon and give it a stir.
3. Drain the chickpeas and pour onto a baking sheet with the zest of half a lemon and a generous seasoning of salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in the pre-heated oven at 200°C for 10 minutes or so until golden brown, add the sunflower seeds to the baking sheet for the last 5 minutes to toast and turn colour slightly.
4. Spoon your soup into bowls, sprinkle with the baked chickpeas and seeds then throw on few chilli flakes if you have them to hand. Enjoy!