Pasta is a store cupboard essential and a favourite of many, with never-ending possibilities. It may well be a regular feature on your weekly menu and if you’re vegan or vegetarian it is a handy accompaniment to a bowl of veggies.
- 240g pasta
- 2 courgettes
- 1 aubergine
- 2 bell peppers
- 6/8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper as taste
- Chop your courgettes, aubergines and bell peppers into very small cubes.
- Peel your garlic and divide it in half. Discard the germ (this is because if the germ is too large it can develop an unpleasantly bitter flavour)
- Place the garlic in a non-stick pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil and sauté over a moderate heat for 5 minutes. (You have to be very careful that the temperature of the oil does not get too hot because the garlic could burn and give a bitter aftertaste. To prevent this from happening you can occasionally remove the pan from the heat and swirl the garlic)
- Add the chopped vegetables and pan fry with the olive oil and garlic, add some salt and pepper and place a lid over the pan. Cook for 10 minutes at low-moderate heat (if you wish to add some spice, sprinkle over some chilli flakes)
- In the meantime, pour 1.5 litres of water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- After 10 minutes, remove the garlic from the vegetables and let them cook without the lid at low-moderate heat (be careful not to let the vegetables burn)
7. At this point the water for the pasta will be boiling and ready, add a handful of rock salt and pop the pasta in (wait for the water to boil again and then stir with a spatula, so that the pasta does not stick)
8. Cook the pasta for two minutes less than what is suggested on the packet (for al dente pasta) and stir occasionally during cooking.
9. Meanwhile, cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
10. When there are 4-5 minutes left before the pasta is cooked, add the cherry tomatoes to the vegetables and cook on a low heat.
11. Drain the pasta and add it to the vegetables, sauté for 2 minutes.
12.Add some fresh basil leaves (and parmesan if you wish) and the pasta is ready to eat!