Whatever your thoughts on Valentines Day, here at 91 we’ve got something for everyone. Last week we shared a tutorial to make these earthy homemade candles, a heartfelt gift made by your own fair hands. Today it is time for a little bit of kitsch, a burst of colour and a chance to let the world know you’re in love! 91 stylist Laura Sawyer shows us how to make a fun Valentines wreath…
With Christmas now a distant memory, it’s been a while since our doors have been adorned. They’re probably feeling in need of some new season accessories just as much as we are.
A Valentine’s Day wreath hanging on the door will let Cupid know you’re looking for love or thank Eros for bringing you your Valentine.
I personally have rather fallen for this super kitsch decoration and have chosen to hang it inside my house with some Valentine’s Day accessories.
What you’ll need:
- Artificial flowers
- Wire coat hanger
- Optional additions: Pink paint / Paint brush /Paper flowers / Anthropologie Valentine’s Kit / Cherub decorations / Birds / Rosette / Ribbon / Valentine’s messages
How to make:
1. Prepare all the materials you wish to add. I found some little cherubs on eBay so painted them pink. The rosette was a jumble sale find – I replaced the centre with a Valentines message. I cut the flower stems shorter also.
2. Bend your coat hanger into a heart shape by pulling the bottom down from the middle to create the point and pushing the hanger part down towards the point. Then alter to make a neat shape.
3. With your first flower, wrap the wire stem around the coat hanger. Do the same with the next flower, keeping it close to the first.
4. Continue this around the hanger keeping the flowers tight to each other and varying the direction the flowers are pointing.
5. Once you have a full wreath of roses it’s time to start adding your accessories. This is the fun bit – the more the better I say! I made the arrow with a cute kit from Anthropologie, then I added birds, cherubs, paper flowers, stickers, ribbon, a rosette and a LOVE note. Use wire and/or tape to secure these to your wreath.
6. Once you’ve added all of your adornments your wreath is ready to hang by it’s own built in hanger!
Happy Valentines Day readers! We love you all! xxx