You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this indulgent dish – these fluffy banana pancakes are lightly spiced with cinnamon and served with a strawberry compote and melted dark chocolate. The yoghurt is optional but adds a creamy element to the pancakes which marries well with the strawberry compote. You will most definitely score some brownie points if you deliver these as breakfast in bed!
Makes 8 pancakes
- 1 large banana – mashed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for the pan
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 120g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 – 200 ml dairy free milk
- 100g dark chocolate
- 200g frozen strawberries
- Fresh strawberries to serve – sliced
- Dairy free yoghurt to serve – optional
1. Preheat the oven to 150C. Sir the mashed banana and oil together before adding the flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Whisk in the milk a little at a time until you have a consistency that will drop off a spoon. You may need to add a dash of milk if it’s too thick.
2. Heat a drizzle of oil in the frying pan and once it’s hot add around two tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden then place in the oven under tinfoil while you make the rest.
3. Meanwhile melt your chocolate and heat the frozen strawberries in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Let the strawberries get soft and lightly mash them with a fork – leave some chunks of strawberry in there though.
4. Once your pancakes are cooked, serve with the strawberry compote, a drizzle of dark chocolate and a spoonful of yoghurt. Scatter a few fresh strawberries across the plate or dip a couple whole into the melted chocolate for an extra treat!