Based on the classic apple crumble, this dish is a spiced winter warmer. Poached apples and pears in red wine and mulling spices topped with a crispy nutty crumble. A comforting dessert to serve for friends and family, then re-heat the leftovers the next day – if you have any!
- 3 apples peeled, cored & cut into eighths
- 3 pears peeled, cored & quartered
- 4 large pieces of orange peel studded with 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 375ml red wine (½ a bottle)
- 250g frozen black cherries
- 50g mixed dried fruit
- 100g brown sugar
- 200g flour
- 100g oats
- 100g vegetable oil
- A pinch of salt
- A handful of crushed almonds
- Oatly crème fraîche, to serve (dairy free ice cream would also be delicious)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C then put all of the ingredients for the spiced fruit into a large ovenproof baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together all of the crumble ingredients except the almonds, you can use your hands to ensure everything is mixed together well.
3. Once the fruit has poached in the mulled wine and softened, spread the crumble over the top and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crispy.
4. Place the almonds on a baking tray in the oven 5 minutes before the crumble is ready and toast them.
5. Serve warm with a dollop of Oatly crème fraîche or dairy free ice cream and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.